Thursday, September 15, 2011

Life with a Doberman: the elevator pitch

Well, a couple days late is better than not at all.

I've belatedly decided to join the 31 Days to a Better Blog Challenge, courtesy of Dawn Miklich, who writes the blog afFURmation.  Really, I saw a bandwagon, and thought I'd jump on it.  After all, not a whole lot of people know who I am just yet; this is a blog that was only just born in April!  This kind of challenge can be very good for me, and for Elka, and for bloggery.


So, Day 1 challenge: The Elevator Pitch.  In college, I was one of those nerds who always liked the creative writing assignments that made me do something other than my usual schtick.  That's certainly what this is!  An elevator pitch is an encapsulation of your mission; 200 words or less, what's the point, go!

If you've noticed, brevity doesn't tend to be my thing.

So:

I write about Dobermans.  Or my Doberman, Elka.  I review dog products, and write about dog books, and tricks and training, and how fun it can be to have a dog.  The Doberman is a unique breed, and I put this point across, while also putting things into the general "this is how dogs are" perspective, and to my bones, I hate breed prejudices.



So how'd I do?  65 words, according to Open Office.  It's rough, and I'm not one of those people who likes drafting and polishing and polishing and drafting (you might've noticed some typos in the course of my blog, Constant Reader.  My apologies.  Dinners to cook, tricks to train.) But hey, it's a start, and I'll take it.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the 31 Days to a Better Blog Challenge! I am so excited to embark on this journey and fix up my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I figured, in a very mercenary fashion, that it was a good way to get blog traffic. I also figured it was, in fact, a good way to actually have a better blog. This blog stuff is still very new to me, I like concrete pointers!


    (heh, "embark")

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's good! It gets all your main points across and definitely explains what you are all about. Now... Do you want to write mine for me? ;-)

    It sounds like we have a lot in common! One of my university professors actually told me I was too long-winded in a comment on a paper I wrote. Ouch! I've been working on that bad habit ever since. This comment, for instance, could probably be much pithier.
    I also hate editing and drafting and all that boring stuff. That's why blogging is so great - it doesn't really matter!

    ReplyDelete