Saturday, March 10, 2012

Support S.2134 Canine Members of the Armed Forces Act

I saw this Act mentioned on Dogster, and also on a blog I happened across in the wake of the Crufts vet check "scandal" of 2012, Honest Dog.

See, I didn't know, not really, that dogs are stil considered "equipment" by the United States military. Never crossed my mind. Why would it? Dogs are alive. They aren't guns, they aren't boots. They're living creatures that people bond with and love. If a random Afghani street dog gets shipped back stateside, why wouldn't a military working dog like, say, Cairo?

(puppy Elka, with some Red, White, and Blue)


People get very touchy about their dogs, even if they aren't properly "theirs". If I work with, feed, and sleep with a dog for any extended period of time, but especially in a combat zone? I'm going to think of that dog as mine, not Uncle Sam's. I'm going to want that dog to be provided for when retirement comes, not left in a foreign kennel because he or she isn't in commission any longer. That's absurd to me. We ship veterans home. We ship wounded home. As stated, people find ways to transport strays they find home (which I don't object to, I'm just using as a point of comparison). Why not the dogs that we send there in the first place?

So, now there's S. 2134, the Canine Members of the Armed Forces Act. This act, should it be approved/supported/voted for/whatever, will do things like allow a dog to be transferred to a military facility from which he or she will be more easily adopted, provide veterinary care for such dogs, and create military decorations for such dogs. The decorations part might not matter to the dogs, though you can see the way dogs act happy and perhaps "prideful" when they win at competitions, it would undoubtedly mean a lot for their handlers.

Really, I feel that the things that the Canine Members of the Armed Forces Act lists are completely reasonable. I do feel that every dog deserves a home, especially a dog that has gone to war and served his or her country. I feel that those are dogs that we have an extra responsibility to, frankly. Veterinary care? Another no-brainer, in my eyes.  So, how do American citizens support this bill? You can call or email your house Representative (contact info here), and call or email your U.S. Senator (contact info here), asking that they support this Act.

20 comments:

  1. Excellent post! Definitely going to follow up with my Senator and Rep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! I do hope you follow up.

      It's funny, I never contacted my Senators or anything until I started this dog blogging stuff!

      Delete
    2. I second this action. I didn't know about this, though I wish I had when I wrote my post on war dogs.http://goo.gl/y9gnh Thanks for spreading the word!

      Delete
    3. It's brand new, I think. As of February 27, 2012 (according to the link to the Bill text, anyway). So, you didn't miss anything!

      Delete
  2. Olá amiga...
    O importante realmente é ser FELIZ mesmo!
    Como é bom se divertir....
    Obrigada por ir me visitar em meu blog. Amo te ver lá.
    Ótimo final de semana.
    Fica com o Papai do Céu.
    Aus da amiguinha do Brasil ...

    KIPPY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by from the Saturday Blog Hop! Beautiful dog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course many veterans aren't getting the support they need either so maybe it's not only dogs the military thinks of as equipment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, and that problem has been going on for far longer. Our veterans, animal or not, deserve more respect and resources than they receive.

      Delete
  5. Great post, I agree 100%
    Dachshund Nola

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't even realize that was a problem. O.O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? It seems like an absurd thing to have to even ask for.

      Delete
  7. Phil, the Philosopher Mouse of the HedgeMarch 11, 2012 at 2:47 PM

    Again, thanks for spreading the word

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't not! This is one of those self-explanatory causes; it should already exist. Dogs are not things. End of story.

      Delete
  8. Hopefully they can work out something for the dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope that they do! They've earned it and they deserve it. They're dogs, not pieces of equipment.

      Delete
  9. Hi again. Still waiting for word on Rex. Donley (Guy in charge of dogs who the Senator is working with) is not answering his phone. Here's his address. Write a letter to the Top Dog in charge (no pun intended): Letters can be sent to: Michael B. Donley, Secretary of the Air Force, 1670 Air Force Pentagon, Washington, DC 20330-1670

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this! Did you see the petition on Schumer's site? http://schumer.senate.gov/Contact/sgtrex.cfm

      Delete